X-windows will not start / Debian 3.1 sarge / tried various kernels

For my first Linux install experience, I chose Debian 3.1 (sarge) because I
thought it would be easy for a novice to install and more likely to be
compatible with my hardware, a Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.66GHz BIOS Ver. A07,
purchased about a year ago.

Installing from CDs, on the first attempt, I selected the "linux26" install
method and allowed the install program to choose the default
"kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7-smp."  I think I did the config okay, but in the
end, the kernel failed to load.  Thinking the problem might be the kernel,
on the second attempt, I went with the default install method and allowed
the install program to install the default 2.4 kernel.  This also failed to
load.  The third time, I chose install method "expert26" and when the time
came to manually choose the kernel to load, I selected the second line on
the kernel list "kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7."  Completing the basic install,
the kernel did load and everything seemed to be okay.

So, I proceeded to installation of X-windows, using command: "apt-get
install gnome-desktop-environment x-window-system gdm."  During the config
process, I got some warning screens along the way that said something like
"Unavailable modules and devices that need them:
- i810-tco (Intel Corp.  82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Bridge
- e100 (Intel Corp. 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet controller),
- ide-mod (Linux IDE driver)
- ide-detect (Linux IDE detection)
- ide-floppy (Linux IDE floppy)
- ide-scsi (Linux IDE SCSI emulation layer)

Nevertheless, I completed the config process.  However, when it came time to
start X-Windows, it did not start and I got an error screen saying X-Windows
was probably not configured correctly.  (I don't doubt it!)

Finding myself back at the command line, I reviewed the log file
/var/log/XFree86.0.log and noticed the following significant warnings and
errors:
WW  Open APM failed.
WW I810(0) Extended BIOS function 0x5f11 not supported.
EE I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
EE Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.
and finally:
Fatal Server Error: No screens found.

At this point, I followed someone's suggestion to try yet another kernel.  I
chose kernel-2.6.8-2-386.    That kernel loaded okay and so I attempted the
install of gnome and x-window system.  When I completed the loading and
config and rebooted, I did not get the same error screen, but nevertheless x
did not start and when I checked log file /var/log/XFree86.0.log I found the
same warnings and errors:

WW Open APM failed (dev/apm_bios)
WW I810(0) Extended BIOS function 0x5f11 not supported.
EE I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
EE Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal Server Error: No screens found.

It does look like I am missing the right driver for my video controller, but
I am at a loss as to where to look for a solution.

I expected a Dell Intel machine to be pretty standard, with a good chance of
Linux-compatibility, but I guess I was wrong.

At this point, I don't know whether I made config errors, whether I am using
the wrong kernel, or whether my hardware is incompatible with Debian 3.1
(sarge) and I need to try the stable Debian 3.0 (woody).  But will even
woody be compatible with my computer?

At this point, I think I need the help of an expert, so I invite suggestions
to help me move forward getting the X-Window systems to run.
Thx in advance. Tom
Tom (my email: tmsomers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)