modelines working or not depending on console mode?

Hi,

I seem to have a weird problem here.

With my current default settings (debian boots with console vga mode vga=0), X launches with no problems.

However, when I add vga=791 as a kernel parameter at boot, and I try to launch X, the monitor goes out of sync.

Yet, the XF86Config is obviously the same in both cases.

Does it make sense whatsoever that a certain modeline might or might not work depending on whether the console is in a specific vga mode?

btw, I'm using a radeon 9100 built-in vga card, and I'm using the open source "ati" driver...

Many thanks in advance,

Hans Schippers

PS Please reply to me off-list, as I am not subscribed