Re: R128: No matching device

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Bukie Mabayoje wrote:
Mark Vojkovich wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Aaron Yang wrote:
  i'm using xfree86 v4.3.0, redhat 9 and ati rage pro
8mb agp g.accel.

  everything works fine when i boot in linux kernel
2.4.20.

  after compiling and booting into linux-2.4.20-rtl, i
can't start my X Server and i get the following
errors. pls help, thanks!
(!!) More than one primary device found
(--) PCI: (0:14:0) unknown vendor (0x1274) unknown
chipset (0x5880) rev 2, I/O @ 0x1080/6
(--) PCI: (1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RL/VR
AGP rev 0, Mem @ 0xf8000000/26, 0xf0100000/14, I/O @
0x9000/8

   This looks like either a bug in your sound card, or more
likely a motherboard bios bug.

I really doubts if that is the case. BIOS don't usually make such catastrophic errors. I am pretty sure it is not the BIOS. The PCI configuration space Class Code should be a clue.
Base Class     Sub-Class  Interface       Meaning
00h                 00h              00h              All currently implemented devices except for VGA-compatible device
00h                 01h              00h              VGA-Compatible device
03h                 00h              0000000b    VGA-compatible controller. Memory addresses 0A0000h through 0BFFFFh
                                                              I/O addressses 3B0h to 3BBh and 3C0h to 3DFh and all aliases of these
                                                              addresses.
03h                 00h              00000001b  8514-compatible controller - 2E8h and its aliases, 2EAh-2EFh
03h                 01h              00h               XGA controller
03h                 80h              00h                other display controller
04h                 00h              00h                Video device
04h                 01h              00h                 Audio  device
04h                 80h              00                   Other multimedia device
If it is the BIOS the video will never appear a boot.

 Perhaps your previous kernel
had a workaround for this while your upgraded kernel did not.

Do you know what the rtl means at the end of linux-2.4.20-rtl ?

Anyhow, what happened is that your motherboard marked your
sound card as the primary display card.  If you look at /proc/pci
it probably identified your sound card as a VGA controller.

   A workaround would be to specify the bus id explicitly in
the Section "Device" of the XF86Config file.  Eg.:

BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

  In absence of the explicit bus ID, XFree86 is defaulting to
the primary display device, which in this case, happens to be
your sound card :)

I agree this isn't a BIOS nor kernel issue. But, Mark's right nonetheless. The sound adapter is mis-advertising itself as a "prehistoric" VGA (not the first time). For now, specify the BusID and everything will be fine.

I'll have this fixed in 4.5.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |