problem with xfree86 4.4.0

Hi,

I'm rather new to linux, and i was tinkering around in a redhat 9
installation and I wanted to install the new version of xfree86.  I
downloaded the source and did a make World, then a make install.  I
restarted and some of the fonts looked different, so I assumed that it
had been updated correctly.

I then proceeded to do a "make clean" in that xc directory, which was
apparently a silly idea because it ruined everything.  Next time I
tried to start up X Windows wouldn't start, and I could only get a
command line.  So I tried to do a make World again....if I remember
correctly the first time I tried I ran out of disk space, so I deleted
some other things and did it again and it completed, and then i think
i did a make install that also completed, but after restarting it
still wouldnt work.  Then I deleted the xc directory and made a new
one and did make World, make install, still without any luck.   That's
where it stands now, I can get on and get 6 or so different terminals,
but no X Windows.  I apologize for not having more details, I know
that can be frustrating.

Any help with my situation would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Andrew