Re: Installing and configuring XFree86

Hi Jesse,

On Saturday 22 January 2005 02:21, Jesse Nichols wrote:
> Thanks again Nik!
> I took your advise and did another fresh install of FC3.  So now
> Im back at the beginning.  My original problem is all GL-apps
> Run extremely slow.  How do I enable Mesa, instead of using "no
> rendering"?

I would expect that MESA is already enabled, but that it is currently using
software rendering instead of the hardware accelerated rendering of your
graphics card.

Try typing "glxinfo" on your machine.

This will tell you about the current configuration of OpenGL on your machine.

My guess is that it will tell you you have OpenGL enabled, but acceleration is
deactivated (most likely you will see something like "direct rendering: No"
and/or "OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect" in the output of glxinfo.

If so, then this is telling you that OpenGL is installed and active, but it
currently is not using the hardware acceleration of your graphics card.

There are useful mailing lists for DRI at

and information on their ATI support at :

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATI
(from this, I believe that your card is *probably* supported)

and finally a troubleshooting guide at:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

The troubleshooting guide takes you through a step-by-step process of finding
problems with direct rendering (hardware acceleration). It refers to the
XFree86 server, but much of this does not directly involve the X server, and
most of that which does involve the X server is very similar for XFree86 and
Xorg.

In summary, the open source DRI system uses kernel drivers that must be loaded
*before* the X server starts. These kernel drivers need to locate the correct
hardware of your machine. With a 2.6 kernel, I believe you need to have your
video card loaded (for your ATI card, I expect that the driver would be
called "radeon"), *and* a device-specific AGPGART driver.

So, even before you start with the DriTroubleshooting guide above, you
probably should do the following:

1. Capture the output of "glxinfo" to a file. Look to see what is and is not
currently enabled.

2. capture the output of "lspci" to file (you need to be root to do this - on
my machine anyway), and look to see if your AGPGART (on my machine, it is
listed as a "Host Bridge") and video card are being recognised.

3. capture the output of "lsmod" and see if if the "radeon" driver is loaded.

4. grep dmesg and /var/log/messages for "dri", "drm", "agpgart", and/or
"radeon" and see if drivers are being loaded, and if so, if there are any
errors

5. Look in your X server log (with the X.org, this is normally in
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log), and look for errors involving "opengl", "drm", "dri",
"agpgart" or the video card driver, which would normally be called "radeon".

There may well be some obvious errors that you can address quickly without
having to ask someone and wait for an answer.

Once you have the easy stuff done, then if DRI still isn't working, hopefully
others like myself can give you a helping hand.

Cheers!
Nik.