Re: Radeon 9200: unable to start X with xf4.4.0

* <chrisbragg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [19/12/2004 1412EST]:
> I have a problem similar to a few already posted, but there may be
> differences here, and I'm flummoxed, so it's worth a try!
                            ^^^^^^^^^
			    Good word.

> Have installed 4.4.0 on top of RH v.9.

Stop right there.

When you install XFree86 on top of anything, it gratuitously overwrites
a few files.  One of such files is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc which is the
system-wide, default script used to start up your X environment (window
manager, etc).  The xinitrc is run by 'xinit' (see the man page) which
in turn is generally started by 'startx' from a console.  However the
xinitrc could also be run if you log in through a graphical display
manager like xdm.  I don't know the specifics of your setup.

In short, RH's version of xinitrc is in the RPM package 'xinitrc'; in
RH9 I believe it is xinitrc-3.32-1.noarch.rpm.  If you reinstall this
RPM chances are you will get your old behavior back (but with the new
X binaries that you installed).

> Whenever I try to start X, I get the grey screen with the X cursor but
> it goes no further than that.

You're probably actually running Twm without realizing it.  Twm is small
(but functional) window manager that is distributed with XFree86, and it
is the window manager that is started by the xinitrc that XFree86
installs.

> I have an ATI Radeon 9200 SE card, supported by the Radeon driver. As
> well as the error messages others have reported regarding inet6, I get
> a line:

You will get the error messages about inet6 if your kernel has no
support for IPv6.  These are harmless.

> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found.

I didn't look at your config only because this is a warning message, not
an error.  An error would be prefixed with "(EE)" and the X server would
abort.

If you only have one video card I think you can get away without
specifying a BusID, but I may be wrong. :)

> Many thanks and merry xmas,

Happy Holidays to you too.