The Panels are Too Big For The Screen

Hi All. I hope someone can help.  I am trying to install Red Hat 9. I have partitioned the drive and run a full install both to a formatted disk and also to one drive with Red Hat already on it (saying format). I take the machine chosen devices. Each time the letters on the logon panel overlay themselves and the tool bar is way too big. Once in the icons are too big and the panels are about 60% showing (ex. date panel you can't get to buttons). Maybe someone has an idea what I am doing wrong and/or how to fix it. Please help a frustrated newbie. Thanks.
Bob

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays

Bob Pelletier
Rocky Hill, Connecticut