external monitor support for i855 broken

Like many users, I rely upon being able to switch my laptop's display from the LCD to an external monitor by toggling fn-F7. Some i855 users have reported (to this list) getting a 50 pixel vertical offset of the output to CRT, others getting no output at all. I have reproduced both behaviors, depending on the XFree86 version:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-8 20040928112350 fabbione@xxxxxxxxxxxx): vertical offset on external CRT

latest version, 4.4.99.18 (directly from XFree86 web site): no CRT output at all

I also found a user who had full functionality using the Mandrake 10.0 version, also calling itself XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1. He now reports that
after upgrading to Mandrake 10.1, his external CRT no longer works.

Apparently there was a recent version of XFree86 where the external monitor was working, which then got broken in subsequent versions without the developers noticing.

Does anyone know which version this could have been, or otherwise how to fix the problem?

--Jim Cline