Re: XWindows still not right

12/11/04

Hi Mark and List,

If you can't help me, maybe you could point me in the right direction to get help please - (I don't mind RTFM but please point me to the correct M)?

I used to like XWindows. I was using it with a KDE desktop on RedHat7.2. It had a nice background and a bottom menu with a navigator button and a terminal button and an editor button. It had a 4-Window switcher (I could customize the number of windows, but the button switcher was very handy).....

Now, you tell me that there is "nothing wrong with my logfile" but all I get is an ugly black and white background, 3 terminal windows already open, one of which doesn't even fit in my screen - with no scroll bars so that I constantly have to "clear" when I can't see the bottom (doesn't respond to resizing requests). And an ugly clock. If I click the background I can bring up a "Twm Icon Manager" which is not very helpful.

I've tried the command switchdesk KDE (from inside X Windows, outside X Windows, as root and as user). I get the response that I now have KDE, but it doesn't change the look/feel of my desktop.

I'm thinking that maybe I made a mistake by following what was indicated in the error log and downloading the correct newer version (according to your shell script) of X from your site, and that I should have used an rpm instead. Is that right? Now I don't know how to undo this.

Suggestions?

Meryll