Re: Xnest and fvwm

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Benoit Galarneau wrote:

I have a small problem with fvwm. XDMCP is enable on a linux computer
running fvwm windows manager. With Solaris, we start a Xnest connection
with a query to the linux computer.

I log and everything is fine except for a particular application. The
application "menu's item" are not there. I see the menu scrolling down
but the text is not there. Everything else is working, mouse click
(left, middle and right button).

There is no problem without Xnest. When I start a "X :1 -query
Linux_IP", everything is good.

I'll assume the "X" you're refering to here is Solaris's Xsun.

It's possible the application requires backing store and/or save unders to operate. According to our source at least (and X.Org's), Xnest explicitly disables both on its screens. This would be the reason behind the behaviour you're seeing if it also occurs under `Xsun :1 -bs -su -query <Linux_IP>`. If so, you would then need to hack Xnest (or the application's) source code to change this.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |