unexpected mouse behavior, suse-9.1

i'm increasingly puzzled here. i use a kensington expert mouse trackball
on the which has four buttons, one on each corner. it is connected to
the ps/2 port and is /dev/psaux. forever, xfree has mapped these
buttons such that i have two left and two right buttons -- and i'm
perfectly happy with this. but with my install of suse 9.1, which has
an xfree that identifies itself as 4.3.99, i have one lmb -- lower
left; one rmb -- lower right; nd two middle buttons -- both the top
ones. the current xfree documentation lists a kensington protocol, but
the xfree suse supplied is having none of it. to further cloudy
matters, i am able to do the "DragLockButtons" option, such that the
upper left becomes a locked lmb. this is of limited utility, in that i
do not especially need a locked lmb and the corollary, a locked rmb, is
entirely useless.

ideally, i would have this setup: upper left=lmb; upper right=rmb; lower
left=locked lmb; lower right=middle button. of all this, what is most
important to me is upper left as left and upper right as right.
according to the documentation, i should be able to achieve this by
unoptioned ps/2 protocol. but, as i said, what i get with plain ps/2 is
two middle mouse buttons.

the appropriate section of xfree is this:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/psaux"
  Option       "Emulate3Buttons"
  Option       "Protocol" "PS/2"
  Option       "DragLockButtons" "2 1"

it is identical to previous mouse sections of my XF86Config in which the
button mapping was what i wanted, which is as documented: two left, two
right.

how do i recover that configuration? is some suse configurator doing me
a "favor"?

thanks for any help anyone can provide.
--
dep