Why is "X" so slow and clunky?

Why is "X" so slow and clunky as compared to 'the other
GUI'....(window$)? Windows is sharper, crisper, faster, and *much*
easier to set up, at least for idiot (me!) operation. I can even use
my own file 'extensions' in Windows; I have never figured out how to
do this under "X", either using KDE or Gnome. As a matter of fact, I
get lost in the X server/X client/window manager/desktop manager/etc.
stuff. At this time I do NOT need the ability to pop up windows on
other users' monitors. I can barely pop-up the window I want on *my*
screen.

Exemplum gratium: I can do Modern English, Attic Greek, and Biblical
Hebrew, mixed, under Windows. I do not know how to do them under "X".
Now I realize that different language handling may not be considered
an "X" function, but since I can't sort out the capabilities and
responsibilities of all the pieces working under (with? over?
against?) "X", I do not know 'who to blame'. Since "X" appears to be
'on top' (I 'startx' first), it gets the blame!

If "X" and its sub-components were not so clunky and difficult to
install, use and modify, I would have no compunction about
recommending Linux to anyone. As it stands, I tell them that probably
they would be happier with Windows.

PS: I cannot believe that all my problems with "X" are OS-version
dependent. I have used four versions of Linux; I currently use RedHat
6.1 and Debian 3.0 (I use RedHat 6.1 because its XFree86 supports my
ancient video hardware! No one else does!) The problem belongs to "X"
and its sub-components, a 'system' obviously designed and built by a
committee.

George D. Freeman IV
the softrat
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
mailto:softrat@xxxxxxxxx
--
Not the brightest crayon in the box, now, are we?