Re: difficulties configuring after upgrade

--- Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, damon fasching wrote:
>
> > I have just upgraded my Linux distribution, which
> > included an upgrade of the XFree86 version.  I've
> been
> > mucking around with my configuration file for a
> couple
> > of days with no luck.  Here are my system details:
>
> > XFree86 version: 4.3.0
> > OS: debian gnu linux kernel 2.4.27
> > monitor: Viewsonic P220f
> > video card: Diamond Fire GL Pro 100
> >            (pretty old video card)
> >  lspci has the line: VGA compatible controller:
> Texas
> > Instruments TVP4020 [Permedia 2] (rev 01)
>
> > I've attached three files.
> > 1) /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> > 2) XF86Config-4: My current configuration file.
> > 3) XF86Config_old: The configuration which worked
> > with the earlier version of XFree86 I was using.

> Your XF86Config's default depth is invalid.  Specify
> 24 instead of 32.
>
> Marc.

Hi and thanks,

Yes, that would seem to be the case given the error
messages in the log file.  But there are two problems.

1) I did mess around with the default depth.  I tried
4, 8, 15, 16, 24 and 32.  32 Gave the messages in the
log file attached to my previous mail.  24 produced
the error messages "(EE) VGA(0): Driver can't support
depth 24" and "(EE) Screens found, but non have usable
configuration".  15 and 16 both produced the message
"(EE) Depth 15/16 not supported by this driver."

The only depth which did not cause the server to shut
down was 8.  With 8, X and fvwm started, but the image
was huge.  An 80x24 xterm was much larger than the
monitor.

2) In the configuration I used with the earlier
version of XFree86 I used a depth of 32 and that
worked fine.

So, I don't understand why a depth of 32 worked
previously, but does not work now, with my new
configuration.  I also don't understand why when I do
manage to get X started (with the only working depth,
8) the image is so huge.  I am using the same
modelines as were included in my previous
configuration file, also attached to the previous
mail.

Perhaps 'vga' is no the correct server?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,