Application Start Question

OK, I finally stumbled on a fix for my XFree86 installation. It's now working. But I have some basic questions. When I start a new program, at least some of them, the cursor changes to a different shape (like pointer toward an upper-left corner). Then when I click that sets the home point for the window. Not a problem. But when I put applications in the .xinitrc file they still startup like that (i.e., 'pan') even though xclock and xterm do not start like that. Is there a way to force applications like pan to startup with the window open?

-- Chip

	'Calm down-it's only ones and zeros.'