Re: how to intercept click on titlebar?

Can I use a XSelectInput on the Root Window? I don't need to intercept the buttonpress events on other windows or the titlebar, I only need to know when they happen. I made a file menu for a window and need to close the file menu when a button is released on the titlebar or a different window (although then, I can use the focusout event). I wish button click on the titlebar could be recognized. The menu windows are "override_redirect" windows.

thanks
Ted

Måns Rullgård wrote:

Ted Huntington <thunting@xxxxxxx> writes:

How can I intercept or detect when a buttonpress event has happened on
a window menubar, or outside the windows I created in Xwindows?

The window decorations are created by the window manager. The usual way is to create a window slightly larger than the window being decorated, and reparent the client window into that one. What you could do, is to listen to the events you want from the parent of your window. I'd strongly advise against it, though. Users expect consistent behavior when clicking window titles and similar, and circumventing that isn't nice, even if you manage to get along with the window manager about it.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?  Maybe there is a better
solution.

--
Ted Huntington Programmer Analyst Main Library University of California, Irvine
PO Box 19557

Phone Bus Off 949 824 8926
Phone MRC     949 824 1674
emesg: thunting@xxxxxxx