problems building XFree86 from source

Dear XFree86 users,

This will probably sound like a very simple question, but I am having a great deal of trouble building XFree86 version 4.4.0 from source on the cygwin platform of my Windows XP computer. I have downloaded the SGI GLX 1_2.1 package and copied its files into the XFree86 directories, as the GLXREADME file that came with the package suggested. (It should be said, however, that this version of GLX was made with XFree86 version 3.3.3 in mind. The GLXREADME file suggested some patches to some of the makefiles in XFree86, but the text there didn’t match the actual XFree86 makefiles I had.) I also downloaded both the OpenGL and the freeglut libraries through cygwin setup and, after unzipping and untarring them, made a symbolic link from each resulting GLUT directory into xc/programs/Xserver/GL/opengl of the XFree86 tree. But whenever I run “make world”, I get the following error in the World.log file, whether I use cygwin’s OpenGL or freeglut:

make[6]: Entering directory ‘/lib/XFree86-4.4.0/xc/programs/Xserver/GL/opengl’

make[6]: *** No rule to make target ‘ddxci.o’ needed by libGL.a’. Stop.

make[6]: Leaving directory ‘/lib/XFree86-4.4.0/xc/programs/Xserver/GL/opengl’

make[5]: *** [all] Error 2

The makefile in question (/lib/XFree86-4.4.0/xc/programs/Xserver/GL/opengl/Makefile) contains ddxci.o, which does not exist in any of the packages I have mentioned. There is also a long list of other files that also do not exist (ddxcx.o, ddxrgb.o, etc).

Does anyone know anything about these files and where I can get them? Or are they not even necessary to build XFree86 4.4.0 properly?

Thank you for your help,

John P. Sutter

SPring-8/JASRI

1 – 1 – 1 Kouto, Mikazuki-cho, Sayo-gun, Hyogo-ken 679-5198

JAPAN

Tel: +81 791 58 0802 (x3105)

Fax: +81 791 58 1816