RE: XFree86.0.log

Level 5 gets you straight into X at startup.  Because your X does not work
properly (yet) that's why it crashes to console.

Startup in console mode (level 3) until you get your X running properly and
then look at this link on how to get xdm going so that you can have a
graphical logon.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/nielsen.xdm.html

Having a 'X' cursor means the Xserver is running.  It's just that you don't
have a windows manager running.

The attached xinitrc file should be placed in tour /etc/X11/xinit/
directory.  When you run startx it will now launch the TWM window manager,
give you a clock and a terminal window.

If you want other windows managers (KDE Gnome etc) try looking on their
websites for advice on getting them running.

Kevin
email:   kevin.benstead@xxxxxxxxxx