X Windows Permissions

Title: X Windows Permissions

Hi,
        I am trying to run a graphical interface under X Windows without a window manager. This needs to run without the need to log in, and I would like to run it as a non-root user for security. I have been having trouble running X as a non root user and get the following error.

PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

I have found two ways of getting rid of this..
        Firstly, if I login to the console (text login) as a normal user, then I can ssh in and run X as the same user. (ssh'ing in without having logged in locally produces the above error)

        Secondly, I can run it (isecurely) as root.

Is there any way of setting the permissions on "console ownership"??

Thanx

GC

EOM

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein.  If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.