Re: Screen Noise

davidjpenton wrote:

> Is it normal for X to generate a lot of visual noise on the screen

My old s3virge based card did the same thing. Sometimes I even saw the
"sparklies" under MS Windows. It is caused by read errors from the
video RAM when building the screen image. This is likely the result
of problems with access timing to the VRAM. In my case, the problem
could be reduced or eliminated by lowering the dot clock in a
modeline statement:

Modeline "1152x864"   96  1152 1196 1280 1484   864  872  884  912

However, doing so will reduce your refresh rates. In my case, anything
over 90Mhz would start causing problems on my crappy card. You may
want to fiddle with any timing options you driver offers "e.g.,
early_ras_precharge, slow_dram, etc.).

My final solution, ironically, was to get a new ATI All-in-Wonder
Rage 128 Pro PCI, which fixed all my sparkle problems, allowed
for very fast refresh rates, crystal clear higher resolution text
as well as better acceleration performance. See ya S3, ;).

Good video cards are too cheap these days for us to have to put up
with such annoyances.

 Michael Shell
 news1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx