Re: Screen Noise

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, davidjpenton wrote:

> Thanks Mark. I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 7500.  It's about 2 years old.
> I running XFree86 4.3.0 on Fedora Core 1. My desktop is at 1280x1024.
> Does that sound like a problem?

   That sounds like a driver bug.  I don't know much about ATI
drivers and hardware, but if you're running in depth 24, an
interesting test might be to see if it goes away in depth 16.
Generally, this sort of problem happens if the display hardware
can't read the framebuffer reliably due to contention with the graphics
hardware.  Decreasing the amount of data that needs to be read
(moving to depth 16), increasing the bandwidth available (raising
memory clocks) both tend to help.  But in general that sort of
thing should be solveable in the driver by tweaking timings -
a task for someone who understands the hardware.

			Mark.