Re: could not open default font 'fixed'

Mark Vojkovich wrote:

Could you look up this error message in Google? This question
gets asked a couple times a day and we don't answer it anymore.

Believe me, I really did google quite a bit for the specific error message "could not open default font 'fixed'", without being able to find an answer that could resolve my problem. That's why I asked this question here.

It's been the number one question for a couple years now and as
far as I'm concerned, it's RedHat's bug not XFree86's.

I understand your sentiment. If there's a useful X troubleshooter page (I obviously haven't found one), it would be helpful to steer people with this type of problem to it. Eventually, all the google hits would then link to that same resource.

			Mark.

Hint: RedHat and derivatives configure X to *require* a font server yet
they don't seem to be able to ensure that the font server stays
running.

That seems like an unwise choice no doubt. Thanks for the hint.

In my case, xfs seems to be running, however.

# service xfs status
xfs (pid 2854) is running...

/Mattias