X terminal keyboard problem

Hi,

I helped a local school set up a Linux computer lab with X terminals.
Everything is working fine but for one thing: changing keyboard layouts
(I need ee and ru) does not work. In fact, even the keyboard layout
specified in the XF86Config file does not work (falls back to pre XKB
keymap).

The terminals mount / and /usr from a server. I have checked an double
checked, and /usr/X11R6/lib/xkb and related directories (in Debian they
are symlinked to /etc/X11) are visible in the terminal filesystem.

X is version 4.3 and the system is Debian unstable.

Here are some symptoms:

* (run from X client side) setxkbmap ee fails to load the new keymap
with an error along the lines of "Failed to load new keymap"
* (run from X client side) setxkbmap ee -print | xkbcomp -
192.168.0.222:0 however works
* (run from X client side) running setxkbmap -print produces this:
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc/pc(pc105)+pc/ee"    };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
};
which is strange because it claims using an Estonian layout while in
fact it is not (fell back to US)
* running xkbcomp from the terminal (X server side) also works
* XKB extension is loaded (at least the log file says so)

I am very much out of ideas and would be very happy if someone could
offer something to try.

Thank you,

L.