Re: Monitor/Driver Problem

alupu@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thank you very much for your prompt comments and help.

For the record – The monitor is always fully shut off, whether
between a switch from Linux to Windows or just before a boot up on
Windows. This eliminates the possibility that the monitor (if OK)
might not present the proper DDC1 info to Windows.

As I mentioned, the only time the problem doesn’t show up is when I leave the monitor off until after Windows has been fully up (thus “simulating” the “switching off of monitor detection in Windows” the
hard way.) This raises a few new questions: 1. Is it possible that
the Linux driver, once it gets (and maybe stores) the correct info
from the monitor on first install, it no longer cares what happens
afterwards, while Windows keeps inquiring the now wrong DDC1 data on
any boot up?

The DDC spec says that as soon as a device is switched to DDC2, it has to stay in this mode until it is switched off. Since your monitor is off, I don't see a connection. (And no driver can switch it back to DDC1, nor "program" or "restore" anything.)

Besides, I have no clue about the Windows driver's internals, ie when and how often it queries the monitor for DDC data.

> In other words, is it possible that the monitor is now
defective (DDC1-wise) with Linux not noticing anything?

No.

2. I do not
know a way to “switch off the monitor detection in Windows and use a
fixed rate there”. I’d appreciate a pointer from you here (even if
it might include messing up with system registry).

Haven't been using Windows for ages, but I guess you'll find this in the Display properties somewhere.

3.  When you say
“But then again, this is SiS... you never know...”, I detect a
certain unhappiness with SiS651 on your part. Do you think my
spending some money on a video card (with a different chip, of
course) would fix this annoying problem for sure?

Sorry, no idea. (But it is certainly not the "chip's" problem, more a driver problem on the Windows side here.)

Thomas

Again, many thanks, -- Alex

Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria