Re: How to support Chinese fonts in X11?

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, [iso-8859-1] Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Ted Huntington <thunting@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Wa bu ji du (I don't know) Sammy, but I will say this: X11 (and perhaps
> > the main Linux distributions) should really improve their default font
> > set, when programming with gcc I have no idea what fonts are available.
> > Perhaps there is a way of searching through fonts, and determining their
> > sizes.

I've been facing some of the same problems trying to get
Japanese Fonts/io to work on my machine.  This whole arena
is pretty complicated and after several months, it's finally
starting to make some sense.

What worked for me was to contact the Tokyo Linux User's
Group, where a bunch of people have had to deal with the
same problems.

Also, there's a really good book on CJKV Information
Processing from O'riely that you may find very useful. Look
at _CJKV_Information_Processing_by Ken Lunde.

Is there a similar Linux User's Group in Tiwan or China?
They may be able to give you exactly what you need.

Steve S.