xdm process

Title: xdm process

Hi

I'm using a Linux server in a Windows workstation environment. Users use Exceed to open a graphical session on the Linux box (RedHat 8). A few weeks ago, for no apparent reason, the xdm process wouldn't respond to a login request. I find that I need to kill the currently running xdm, and start it again. On restarting, it spawns a number of children xdm processes (what looks like one for each entry in the Xserver file). At this stage, users can start Exceed (normally XDMCP broadcast, but Query also works) and get a graphical login on their remote workstations.

After some arbitrary amount of time (roughly 20 minutes), the number of children starts to decrease, and anybody trying to get a graphical login is again unable (graphical sessions already running are fine). I then have to kill the remaining xdm processes, and start again.

Any pointers as to how I can solve this?

Kurt