(Another) xfs 'could not open default font 'fixed'' error

Hi,

I know this type of problem gets posted a lot but after reading through the
archives I still can't fix it! I recently installed XFree86 v 4.4.0 on my redhat
8.0 machine. I couldn't find an rpm so used the install script which seemed to
work fine after creating a nasty 'makeshift' .xsession file in my home
directory. xfs starts ok and the gnome-session loads no problem. The problem
starts when I load certain software and web pages which crash xfs with the
'Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!' error message
in the log file. I assume this is due to a problematic font required by them?
I tried downloading the fonts package again and reinstalling it but I get the
same problem.
I have plenty of space on my hard drive.
I can login again after the crash (without the graphical desktop environment)
and restart xfs, then login again using xdm to get my graphical environment and
gnome-session back without rebooting.
The problematic software and web pages work fine if I comment out the 'Fontpath
 "unix/:7100"'' line, but then I lose access to all fonts in packages like 'gimp'.
I tried using a different port number (7110) but then couldn't get a graphical
environment at all for gdm.
Is this due to the .xsession file (that only contains the command
'gnome-session')? In which case, what do I need to add?

Please help!

Thanx,

mike