Re: XFree86 4.4 Install Mystery

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:31:59 -0400
Karl Hakmiller <karlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been running 4.3 but had a problem I couldn't fix so I thought
> I'd just install the newer version and get on with life.  Wrong!
>
> I followed the online INSTALL instructions (I read that a detailed doc
> on the 4.4 release was not yet available but what was there looked
> detailed enough to go ahead, so I did).
>
> Everything seemed to go normally enough but after going thru the
> "install" and then the "configuration" (with XFree86 -configure) I
> rebooted, logged in as root, and was confronted with a screen having
> only a mysterious "table" with Clients/Session Log/Checkpoint/Shutdown
> cells that is as far as I can get in starting X. I have no idea what
> this is for, why I am seeing it and what I need to do to get past it.

What you are seeing is the simple, default window manager (twm, I
think.)  Unfortunately, installing the binary resets all the X init
scripts to some really dumbed down minimalist configuration.  I never
could get my real ones back on, though I had saved the whole /etc/X11
and /usr/X11R6/bin directories before installing 4.4.  So I took the
easy way out and create a ~/.xinitrc file with "exec gnome-session" in
it.

> I've looked at all the docs on the X86 Home site and found no clues to
> its function or meaning.
>
> I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me about this "table"
> or what I ought to do about it.  [BTW, I'm not on that machine as I
> write this, or does that go without saying?  :)]
>

> Karl L
> Email: karlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Homepage: http://hakmiller.rootsweb.com

Guy Rouillier