xf86config serial mouse problems

Hello, my name is Daniel. I installed Slack9.1 on my older pc (AMD K6). I am using an older keyboard that had a serial touchpad built in (seprate cord for the touchpad/ works perfecly). The mouse worked after the bootup when i login as root, and allowed me to move the virtual cursor around, but when i launched KDE it did not respond.

I took the advice of a semi-similar problem on linuxquestions.org by using xf86config. and set it to "auto" but it did not work.. I plugged in another mouse (serial microsoft) but it did not work either. I also tried changing the location to /dev/tty0 but it did not work. Still no mouse response. I tried some other mouse settings just in case, but they too did not work.

Perhaps i do not know the correct mouse location or setting. Also when i try "startx" it gives me an error the it could not find "protocol "sysmouse" even when i dont have it set on that. Is there perhaps a prolem with the xf86config file?

btw, the error output is:

/"(= =)using config 'xf86config'
(ee)mouse1: protocol 'sysmouse' is not supported by this platform
(ee)preinit: failed for input device "Mouse1"
no core pointer

fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices"
/