Re: Software XFree86 scaling extremely slow on SuSE 8.2

Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
> On Friday 23 April 2004 16:20, Michael Taylor wrote:
>
>>>When playing with xmame, I've noticed that software scaling is extremely
>>>slow on SuSE 8.2 with my radeon 9000 card. I have games dropping from 500
>>>fps to 20 fps! I've tried the same thing with Morphix (with the same
>>>version of XFree86, and the same config file), but I had no such problems
>>
>>Look at the output of glxinfo.
>
> I don't have 3D enabled; isn't that what glxinfo gives me information about?
>
> What I noticed about the output is that direct rendering is disabled, while
> it's enabled in XFree86:
> (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled

I just assumed that when talking fps and games, that it is a 3D game that uses
OpenGL, sorry.

You are correct, the lack of direct rendering is the likely cause of the slow
down. Is there any later messages about it being disabled, also check
/var/log/messages for issues with AGP GART and the radeon DRI kernel module. I
assume that lsmod shows radeon and agpgart are both loaded.