Re: XIO: fatal IO error 105 (No buffer space available)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Michael Taylor wrote:

> Curt, WE7U wrote:

> > Where does one go to get the ear of the XFree86 developers?  Some
> > other list?  A bug-reporting tool?
>
> <http://bugs.xfree86.org/>
>
> Does the bug exist in the current release of XFree86 (4.4.0 or cvs)?

Couldn't tell you, sorry.  I can't break any of my machines right
now to try.  I really need to stick to the X11 that came with the
distribution at the moment.

> Is Xastir being overly aggressive with XPutImage or similar calls?

Most likely, but that shouldn't kill the application.

We're doing lots of these:

    XReadBitmapFile()
    XSetStipple()
    XSetLineAttributes()
    XSetForeground()
    XSetFunction()
    XFreePixmap()
    XSetFillStyle()
    XFillPolygon()
    XDrawLines()

Basically we're drawing polygons using a stipple, often these are
county-sized polygons, then drawing a border in a solid color around
the polygons.  When zoomed out to U.S. or World size, we can end up
with a lot of weather alerts showing, and Xastir is very busy at
times trying to redraw all of these on a periodic basic (we're
drawing other things as well, like symbols and tracks as people move
around.

I wouldn't expect X11 to kill the app just because the app wants it
to do a lot.  It seemed that the Cygwin list link that I posted
before talked about a similar problem, and they fixed it there.