Xfree86

Hi,

I am new to Linux ( I can hear you groan )

I have been trying to install Xine or Rplayer onto my Redhat Enterprise WS Linux installation & was told I needed XFree86 which I carefully downloaded the correct version from your website & I think installed it correctly

I still cannot load either Xine or Rplayer as there other dependencies they need but that is not my main concern at the moment

When I boot Linux now, at the login screen when I normally go straight into the KDE GUI, I have a window open that calls itself Console log for localhost.localdomain

Even at the login screen I choose the session type radio buttons & click KDE or GNOME all I go into is a new screen called xterm

It does not work by typing startx as all I am told is to remove /tmp/.X0-lock

If I do it still will not load the KDE GUI

I now realise that XFree86 is a lot more than a necessary library for Xine etc but I have bitten off a bit more than I can chew

If it was in windows I could probably check the config.sys or autoexec.bat files but in Linux I have no idea what to do

I am sorry to bother you but if you can help I would very much appreciate it

Kind regards,

Chris Turner