Re: Problem

On Friday 09 April 2004 23:58, Lex wrote:
> Think this is also the cause of not being able to start a display server on
> bootup? I'll def. have a look at it and attach it when I get home if it
> doesn't work.

I'm afraid my knowledge of the bootsplash is not good enough to tell you
anything useful, though I do know it has nothing to do with .xinitrc. :( As
far as the graphical login is concerned: it's usually started by init. On my
SuSE system, the started processes are defined in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d as runlevel
5 is my default. They might be in the /etc/rc.d or /etc/init.d directory on
your RH distribution (or something similar).

The files in that directory are usually links to another directory where all
possible scripts are located. The selection in the directory is different for
each runlevel (runlevel 5 for instance should start graphical mode, while
runlevel 3 doesn't).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff