Re: Problem

Mark,

I agree in thinking it's the startup scripts or the windows manager. Unless XFree86 comes with a windows manager, I do not have one installed. I can get X to start, if I
(1) exit to shell CTRL-ALT-F1
(2) remove lock file /tmp/.X0-something
(3) run startx
When I do, I get a screen with 3-4 shells. No window manager, obviously. Would installing one work?

Lex

Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the server.
The repeated messages at the end of the log look weird but that's
probably just the server restarting. Can you just run XFree86
alone. Ie. just "XFree86" rather than "startx"? CTRL-ALT-BKSPC
quits. I'm guessing it's a problem with the window manager or
the startup scripts rather than XFree86 itself.

Mark.