Updated to Xfree 4.4, now no 3D apps will launch!!

Hi,

I'm running PCLinuxOS with Kernel 2.6.4 and KDE 3.2. The hardware is a Dell
Inspiron 1100 Laptop, integrated Intel extreme graphics, 845G chipset. Uses
i810 driver. Everything worked fine under Xfree 4.3. 3D acceleration etc. I
upgraded to XFree 4.4 and now I can't launch any 3D games or even run
Kcube! What happens is this, I launch the app, let's say chromium, the
window opens but remains black and blank! Also it can't be closed by the
usual method, I have to "kill" it. When I try to add Kcube to my kicker
panel, it freezes the kicker panel. I've run strace but it isn't very
helpful, it just stops at what looks like a memory register listing. I have
noticed the following; When trying to launch a 3D app from console, I get
the message "SDL initialized", then nothing further. On my other box with
3D working, I get

randomizing.
SDL initialized.
video mode set (bpp=16 RGB=565 depth=16)
-OpenGL-----------------------------------------------------
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : RIVA TNT/AGP
Version : 1.2.2
Extensions :
GL_ARB_multitexture
etc.etc.etc.

it never get's to the "video mode set" line. Can anyone please help me
debug this. It's my wife's laptop and she's geting mighty tired of me
playing with it, she's started calling it "the other woman".

Jeff LeFebvre
American Management Association
Government Services
1-800-854-4493 ext. 2859
fax 518-891-2698
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail message is intended solely for the use  of the
person or organization to which it is addressed. It may  contain
information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential  in nature. If
you are not the intended recipient please do not  disseminate, distribute
or copy this communication, by e-mail or  otherwise. Instead, please notify
us immediately by return e-mail  including the original message in your
reply. We ask you to then  delete and discard all copies of the e-mail.
Thank you.