New Linux User - Debian 2.2r2 - Problem with XF86 Config File

I am trying to learn about Linux using Steve Hunger’s Debian Linux “Bible”.  I am trying to load Debian Gnu/Linux from the supplied CD, Version 2.2r2

When I get to the part where the system is trying to detect my video card, I am told it is not a PCI device, although xvidetect can see the ATI Rage Pro 128 card (which is in the AGP slot).

But, when I follow the default instructions, and try Xsetup, the computer goes into a loop with the following:

“The /etc/X11/XF86Config file was not created

Press [Enter] to switch to graphics mode

This may take a while

Press [Enter] to continue”

Then I get 8 times the following:

X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect : Can’t connect : errno = 111

The documentation that I have gives no details of what this means, but there is a message just before all of this lot that quickly disappears off the screen saying something like,

Cannot connect to the X Server

Sorry if this all sounds rather vague, but I really am a novice and could do with some help here.  Thanks.

Michael