Re: X Free 86 Fatal Server Error

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 8. April 2004 08:27 schrieb Andi Martin:
> Hi, was wondering if you could help, I know it's a real waste of your time,
> I would be greatly appreciative if you could spare 5/10 mins to have a look
> over this, I'm fairly new to Linux, used Sparc machines for a couple years
> at Uni 7 years ago - hence my linux knowledge leaves a bit to be desired
> (been a long long time!).
>
> I keep getting this error when trying to run startx, I'm sure it's very
> easy to correct, just no idea how....
>
> Have attached the log file for viewing pleasure :-) ?
>
> Thanks for your time in reading this email, and even more thanks if you can
> tell me how to fix it :-)

first of all, you're version of XFree86 is quite old (4.2.0). Current stable
is 4.4.0, so I highly recommend you to upgrade it, as you're videocard is
much better supported now. Second thing I think could be a problem, is that
you are using the vesa driver. Try to change this to the nv driver provided
by xfree (Section "Device" in /etc/X11/XF86Config), or download and install
the binary drivers from nvidia (http://www.nvidia.com), which support 3D
acceleration, but are not open source.

> Rgds
> Andi Martin

Hth,
Michael

Btw: Not shure, if rajesh k has the same problem, because there was no log
attached.