Thinkpad T41/Fedora X crashes under load after suspend (radeon 7500).

X (XFree86 4.3.0-55) crashes under load on my Thinkpad T41 (2378DHU)
which has a Radeon mobility 7500 display (1024x768). But only after a
suspend and resume. I am using a fully updated Fedora Core 1 stock
kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, with APM. (It was present too on the earlier
kernel and XFree86 versions from Fedora). Suspension and resume appear to
work fine, but leave this instability.

The problem is subtle.  Initially I just experienced a very occasional
crash, which brought down the whole machine (as well as keyboard and
mouse). Annoying. But I recently found certain graphics-intensive
applications that would routinely crash the machine within a few
minutes (but seemingly not always at exactly the same time). In some
cases I have been able to ssh into the machine from the network and
run top. It shows X using over 90\% of the cycles. If X is forcibly
killed (kill -9) the whole machine crashes and one needs the power
switch.  No crash has occurred unless the computer has been suspended
and resumed. After a suspend resume (or hibernate resume) it happens
within minutes for these (totally different) applications.

I have done extensive testing to prove that this is the core XFree86
code.  It still occurs if all modules except type1 and truetype fonts
are turned off in the XF86Config, proving that it is not the
DRI, and glx etc, module extensions. I have removed all sorts of
additional kernel modules from my system to eliminate their effect.

I have demonstrated that it does not happen if one restarts the X server
(by ctrl-alt-backspace) after a suspend resume.

Moreover, I have demonstrated that it only happens in depth 24
display, I have never seen it in depth 16. (But why would I want
always to run 16 depth on this display? Also it might just be that on the
depth 16 display my tests just don't thrash the server hard enough.)
I have also not been able to crash the system even in 24 depth when
using the Option ``NoAccel'' ``true'' (suggested by Volker Braun).

I have furthermore discovered that the demo version of XIG's Summit
AcceleratedX server does not crash. That might cause me to buy it in
preference to XFree86, even though I don't seem to be able to get both
the touchpad and the stick working simultaneously with AcceleratedX.

I have tested my memory with the memtest86 program, in case the
problem was hardware. That test reveals no errors with my 256M
IBM-supplied memory. I have moved the irqs around in the BIOS so that
the video moves to a different irq. No difference.

QUESTION: has anyone got information on this bug, especially how it
can be fixed? I have spent a lot of time on it, and I expect it is not
unique to me, but I can't find any reports of this particular problem
on the net.

Insights and experience would be greatly appreciated.

I am posting my log and config files, for the cognoscenti at
\url{http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/XFree86.0.log},

\url{http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/XF86Config}