Logon Problem

Dear all:

Can anyone tell me why I can't be logon as the following situation?

When I type in the incorrect password, the system will prompt me Password Incorrect. It make sense, right? But when I type in the correct username and password, the system will return to the previous line on asking me the username again as a repeat cycle. I tried both root and other username and the problem remains!

I did use SU to change the password and it's successful changed but problem remains!

Thanks and Regards,

Edwin