Re: How ot configure i810 driver for 1280x768 LCD.

On Friday 02 April 2004 18:55, Kenneth Lerman wrote:
> I'm still looking for an answer to this.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm going to try to explain what I understood about this problem :
(people on the list, if say something wrong, please correct me)

We are a lot to have this problem, I bought a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E-4010,
my lcd screen is optimised for 1400x1050 but I can only use 1280x1024.
If I understood the problem, Intel does not provides technical information to
Xfree86 devel team. The Intel i855 bios has a list of vesa resolution but
1280x768 and 1400x1050 are not in this list. With the i810, the resolution
change is done using bios procedures. The problem is that Sony and other
laptop manufacturers have mounted exotic resolution screen with a gfx card
that does not handle the optimal screen resolution. So they ask Intel to
provide special driver that can switch to these resolution. But this code is
closed source and proprietary software, and Intel won't help Xfree86
developpers. You can have a look at this forum for more information :

http://www.leog.net/fujp_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2663

It's not about your laptop, but your problem is the same.