external CRT refresh rate on intel 852, Acer TM530 laptop

Hi,

I'm trying to configure X (v4.3.0, the version
included with Mandrake at present) to better use a CRT
monitor attached to my Acer TravelMate 530 laptop.

The problem is that no matter what changes I make, the
laptop LCD and external CRT both run at 1024x768,
60Hz.  The CRT is capable of better res and refresh
rates (Mitsubishi DV1998FD).

Ideally, I want to be able to:
1. Use the CRT at 1280x1024, 85 Hz, with LCD off (I
don't care what it does).
2. Use both displays simultaneously with Xinerama,
with different refresh rates (CRT > 75Hz, LCD 60Hz).
3. (wishlist!) Use the S-Video TV-out.

How do I force X to only use the CRT (I assume the CRT
is being held back due to the refresh rate & res
limitations of the LCD)?

How do I get Xinerama working correctly?

I've tried to achieve these using XFDrake, xf86cfg
(better by far than XFDrake!!), and editing
XF86Config-4 manually.

Apologies for not attaching the log or config file, I
will attach them to future emails if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Rua HM.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com