elographics problem

I'm using XFree86 Version 4.4.0 (with circa redhat6.2 libraries and linux kernel 2.6.4)
with an ELO touchscreen (elo2300 I think). If I have a "real-time" high priority (SCHED_FIFO)
task that periodically sucks a lot of CPU time, the ELO touch interface falls behind. Once
it's behind, it stays behind, even if I kill the high priority task. It seems to have a queue of
data that doesn't get serviced unless a new event happens.

For example, say that during a period when the CPU is being hogged, I try to move
the pointer in a big clockwise circle multiple times. Then I kill the CPU hog process.
The pointer does not start moving to catch up when the CPU hog dies. It just sits there
at its last location. If I wait 5 minutes and then touch the screen, the pointer starts
moving in the circle that my finger followed 5 minutes earlier. When I stop touching the
screen, the pointer stops. If I touch it again, it continues following my earlier finger
motion. It seems to slowly catch up if I continue interacting with the screen.

If I have a mouse in addition to the touchscreen, movement of the mouse also causes
the pointer to service the events in the elo touchscreen queue and at a much faster
rate. However, motion of the mouse during the time that the CPU is being hogged
does not seem to fall behind the way the touchscreen does.

Is this behavior an Xfree86 bug?

Thanks:

David