Re: mapping mouse-buttons to kbd keys

T. Horsnell (tsh) wrote:
We are getting a number of cases of RSI developing, and
as well as investigating different types of mice, I wondered
whether it was possible to map the mouse-buttons onto
keyboard keys in some way, as the RSI problems seem to be
associated with mouse use rather than keyboard use.
xmodmap doesnt seem to offer any possibility of doing this.
Can anyone suggest any other means?

Thanks,
Terry.

Most, if not all, window managers should allow you to achieve this kind of thing. Certainly, FVWM is highly configurable in this respect. However, your problem might be that specific applications won't allow the usage of the keyboard for typical mouse controlled functions, e.g. drawing functions. It would probably be nice if the X server could map keyboard keys to mouse functions/movement. Hence the application wouldn't be aware that the events were actually being generated by the keyboard.

My personal experience would appear to align with yours. That is to say, the mouse can (and does) cause RSI problems. I'm also trying to find alternatives to using the mouse.

--
Kelvin