Getting xfree86 working w/Matrox G450

OS: FreeBSD 5.2.1
X: XFree86 4.3.0
Card: Matrix Millenium G450 PCI

This is a completely new FreeBSD/XFree86 install from the FreeBSD 5.2.1 CDs.
I have the drivers and the powerdesk source from Matrox, but getting it to
compile is turning out to be a real adventure.  Do I even need to do this
since I'm using newer OS and X releases?

It seems like FreeBSD 5.2.1 has an mga driver built-in, but when I try to
start X after building a configuration, the display completely locks up.

I've read numerous FAQs and mailing list posts, but the information seems
to be somewhat sketchy related to the exact process for making this card
work.  Eventually I'd like to use the dual-head/TV out feature, but just
getting X running on one monitor is a higher priority.

Anything that could get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.

jms