Getting information about resources

This may seem totally irrelevant to this list, but I hope I can persuade
you that this isn't the case.

I am trying to install Oracle 9.2 on a Linux/390. The Oracle installer
has for some time been some Java contraption that insists on running on
X, and this often causes me problems. In this case the installer starts
up, displays a dialog box with some text etc; the problem here is that
the text is invisible. In other dialogs the text shows, but in a font
that is totally crooked - eg. all upper case letters hang below the line
(unless it is the lower case letters that fly above it). I can select
the invisible text in some of the input fields and copy it to eg. an
xterm, so I know the text is there.

So why would the text be invisible? In my mind it must be either that
the font doesn't contain glyphs for those characters, or the foreground
colour is set to the same as the background.

Of course Oracle are not inclined to help - I use the wrong version of
SuSE, which I believe is clearly rubbish, but good enough as an excuse,
I suppose. So I think what I have to do is find out which X resources
the installer uses, especially which fonts and colours - is there a
command for that, similar to xset?

/jan