problem with 4.4.0 and chooser

Hi all,

I have a bunch of linux boxes which display a chooser
and which offer themselves as one of the hosts in the
chooser list.

I achieve this on each box by first starting an Xserver
with the -indirect option pointing to the box itself,
and then starting an xdm session.
'localhost.localdomain' is listed as one of the
hosts in the Xaccess file on each box, and by clicking
on that entry, the user logs into the box directly, rather
than using it as an xterminal to log into a remote host.

The commands I use to start X are:

/usr/bin/X11/X -indirect boxname &
xdm

xdm moans that there is already a server running, but
starts the chooser keeps running itself, servicing requests from the
chooser if the user decides to log into the box itself,
rather than use the box as an xterminal to log into another
host on the chooser list.

This all worked up to and including 4.3.0, but now fails at 4.4.0.

xdm-error at 4.3.0:  Redhat 7.1
========================
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

xdm error (pid 703): server unexpectedly died
xdm error (pid 703): Server for display :0 can't be started, session disabled
========================

xdm.log at 4.4.0:   Fedora 1
========================
xdm error (pid 2392): chooser socket creation failed, errno 97
xdm error (pid 2392): XDMCP socket creation failed, errno 97
xdm info (pid 2392): Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket "/tmp/entropy": No such file or directory

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

xdm error (pid 2392): server unexpectedly died
xdm error (pid 2392): Server for display :0 can't be started, session disabled

Error 97 is:
#define EAFNOSUPPORT    97      /* Address family not supported by protocol */

Is this something to do with ipv6?
Is there a better/any way to achieve what I want?
I dont want to use broadcast, as I dont want all the other
linux boxes to appear in each other's  chooser list.

Thanks,
Terry.