Help :: Xserver not working

Dear Sir,
   I need some help regrading the working of Xserver. The problem that
i m facing is that, my linux machnie currently operating on 9.1 red
hat, boots properly, but just before the GUI login, it displays a
message -

" Unable to start XServer "
There is a problem in loading the bitmap module.

Then it itself tries to configure the XServer, but fails to do so.

Plz suggest me a correct method to solve this problem done.I have got
huge amount of data in that machine, and i m not able to work without
the GUI.

Thanx.

Aditya Shrivastava
DA-IICT, GandhiNagar, Gujrat