Re: Pb with VIA S3G KM400/Xvideo on Acer Laptop

Luc Verhaegen wrote:

On 2004.03.10 18:49, Sébastien SOILEN wrote:

Hello,

I'm currently running an acer laptop with this stuff:

Linux slackware 9.1
Kernel 2.6.3
Xfree 4.4.0 (packages from the xfree website)
The graphic chip is a VIA S3G KM400 and the server use the right driver correctly as I can
observe it.

I encounter these issues:
- No Xvideo adaptor present (checked with xvinfo), even if it seems to be allright
in the config and log files
- Once the server is running, I'm unable to use the consoles
by using Ctrl+Alt+Fx: I have only black screen.
When I shutdown the server, the same thing happen --> black screen...
However, the consoles are functionnal, since it's always possible
to log and run commands blindly...

You'll find my log file below.

There is no XV for km400 due to Via's excellent policy towards providing information freely. People are experimenting with it.

About the VT issue, is there anything special about your kernel you wish to talk about? (fb for instance) If not, does this still happen when you switch to the vesa driver?

Luc Verhaegen.

There is no more problems with terminals when I use the vesa driver. Here are the relative informations from .config file about graphic drivers on my kernel:

#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_MINI_4x6 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22 is not set

I read on this page http://www.xfree86.org/4.4.0/via.4.html that
Xv extensions are supported for the VIA chips. Did I misunderstand what it means?