help needed

ive posted to a forum and i'll include the responses ive had as well, please try and help me, i dont know how this xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx mail thing works so heres my email address so i can get responses - TheBlazingAngel@xxxxxxx

my original post
ok, first to give you background info -
i have a dell latitude C600, 256MB ram, 20Gig HDD, P3 1GHz
-primary partition with winxp pro installed,
-primary partition created for linux (ext2)
-primary partition created for linux swap file
-logical partition created for linux ' \boot '
-3x logicals for documents, temp, and zipped setup files (all for windows)

i am currently having problems with winxp (blue screen of death problem) that i cant fix -see tweakxp.com forum (search for UniShieldXP.sys - there will only be one thread containg that) if you would like to see

here goes...
first of all, i can only have a certain  number of primary partitions, one must be winxp, then theres linux, linux swap and linux \boot to choose from, which should be primary, should i reformat and try installing linux first to make sure the \boot is the first thing on the disk and to maybe cure any problems with linux i am having?
should i use ext3 for the actual linux partition?

i have just spent a heck of a long downloading the three disk iso's for redhat linux 9 and have burnt them to disk
i started the install process, it detects my graphics card as 'ATI rage 128 mobility' and my monitor as 'unknown'
i dont have to go into text mode, however the setup window is not full screen
the install goes fine at first

checking partitions
i create the partitons before hand
-the first time i did the partition bit i selected the check for errors box for just the one partiton it was to install on, it found errors on it, (note: i did not make \boot until the third try!)
-the second time i didnt check for errors
-before doing the third time i deleted the linux partitons in windows (using partiton magic 8) and remade them and also made one for \boot (logical), i then checked all three partitions and found only the \boot had errors
-forth time i checked only the first two (linux & swap) and found no errors on them
i will try doing previous stuff again to try and rid \boot of errors (the partitions i had made before which i then remade are now apparently fine, the one i have just made is not fine, do you think i should delete all partitons and install linux first, formatting the entire drive with a linux format (ext2/ext3) and then install windows after and see if all my problems are solved by doing that?)

selecting monitor
when i got to the stage where you select the monitor
-the first time i had a quick look on the net and i think its a 1024x768 dell laptop model, which i selected from the list
-the second time i left it as unknown
-the third time i skipped the x setup bit

what happens is this - it reboots and should get to a setup where you create user accounts and such but it doesnt
intsead it scrolls through lots of text, the last i think says 'starting first run' or something (the first time i load linux and i think its trying to get to that setup bit)
it then just gives me some logon text, i logon as the root account and type startx (have tried making a user account from here and trying startx but same prob) but it doesnt work, i get an error
also, while im logging in, it flashes black then back to the text a few times before giving a blue box with just two options -yes and no/cancel, with no description or anything, clicking no brings up another, then again - just yes, then back to logon. click yes on the first one and it scrolls through two paragraphs of text and then a sentence with my graphics card mentioned but ends up not being able to do whatever it was trying

the error message after logon & typing startx:

SHARP LQ141F1LH02
Color, Single, TFT
(EE) R128(0) : Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min 128)
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found

XIO: fatal error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 unknown processed) with 0 events remaining
[root@localhost root]#

please help me if you can make sense of any of this, im a total newbie to linux and i cant even get it to install

reply by the other person
You need to check your XF86Config file [this command should do it, vi /etc/X11/XF86Config google for vi commands if you are unsure how to use that editor] and make sure these sections I list are the same;

I wrote:
Section "Device"
     Identifier "Card0"
     Driver      "r128"
     VendorName "ATI"
     BoardName   "Rage 128 Mobility LF"
#     ChipSet     "ati"
     BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "Screen0"
     Device     "Card0"
     Monitor    "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
               Depth     24
               Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

     SubSection "Display"
          Depth     1
     EndSubSection
     SubSection "Display"
          Depth     4
     EndSubSection
     SubSection "Display"
          Depth     8
     EndSubSection
     SubSection "Display"
          Depth     15
     EndSubSection
     SubSection "Display"
          Depth     16
     EndSubSection
     SubSection "Display"
          Depth     24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

Laptops are more of a pain than desktops to setup.

reply by me
i typed vi /etc/X11/XF86Config as you said and it has given me a lot of blue ~ symbols down the left hand side and says

"/etc/X11/XF86Config" [New File]                    0,0-1          All

on the bottom

im asuming that just means its basically an empty text file, i will type in the text you gave me and exit with the Ctrl+x,Enter command that i found in order to save it and then restart

if im making a mistake ill soon find out but dont worry, ill reinstall again and be back here to say so

reply by the other person
No, you dont want to save just that :)

I assumed that is where the RH x-config file is saved. First go back and delete that file, the one you just saved and find the real XF86Config file. cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log | grep XF86Config this should return something like

(==) Using config file: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config"

and that is the file you want to check.

reply by me
ok, i typed in the code, i then kept trying to get the command i found to work but it never, eventually i managed to get an E35 error,eventually i got out by pressing shift+;(:),w,q,enter

i have restarted and have a new message when trying startx (i cant see all of it - this is what i see)

  •                to make sure that you have the latest version.
  • Module Loader present
  • OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.20-8 (bhcompile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003
  • Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
  •             (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
  •             (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
  • (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Mar 2 17:49:53 2004
  • (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
  • Parse error on line 37 of section Screen in file /etc/X11/XF86Config
  •            Unexpected EOF. Missing EndSection keyword?
  • (EE) Problem parsing the config file
  • (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
  • Fatal sever error:
  • no screens found
  • When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full server output, not just the last messages.
  • This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
  • Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx.
  • XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0)"
  •        after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
  • [root@localhost root]#

i assume i made a typo in the file and missed an 'EndSection'

reply by me
yes, somehow i deleted the last line i typed, highlighted all 'endsection's with orange,and i can now type anything???????????????????????????????????????????/

reply by me
i only just saw your last post,ill try that now

reply by me
ok, how do i delete the file?

reply by someone else
rm <filename>

reply by me
ok, i reinstalled, i used cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log | grep XF86Config command and it came up with /etc/X11/XF86Config like we used before, i used the command that you first told me to use and there lots of code there now, maybe i made a typo initially

ok, under section device,this is whats there

Identifier "Identifier "Videocard0", driver "r128", VendorName "Videocard vendor" BoardName "ATI Rage 128 Mobility", VideoRam 8192

screen, this is whats there

Identifier "Screen0", device "Videocard0", Monitor "Monitor0", DefaultDepth 24 (sub section - Depth 24, Modes "800x600" "640x480")

shall i replace everything in these sections with what you had ?

-if i do,should i leave the VideoRam 8192 bit?

ps. something i forgot to mention in the first place, when it has the text 'logon' bit, at the top it says ...on i636 or something, the isos were in a folder labeled i386, is there a problem here, i thought P3 was i386

reply by me
i tried replacing with the suggested code but its just the same

please dont give up

ive got a bit of help of another guy

hes got me so far to run the XFree86 -configure command to setup a XF86Config-4 file, it made this file - /root/XF86Config.new, i edited it with the stuff suggested above but im getting the error still it has changed a little bit though, the two bits in the middle now read - (EE) R128(0): No valid modes found, (EE) Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration