Re: minimal requirements of Xfree

   Back in the mid-'90s I ran XFree86 3.x on a similar machine.  The
X-server itself will run fine with a light-weight window manager
like twm or fvwm, but with so little ram you can hardly run any
applications.  I found xterms and stuff to work, but until
you get about 16 Meg of ram, more complex apps like web browsers
aren't usable (the machine starts swapping to disk too badly).

   The key issue will be your video card.  Alot of old video
cards aren't well supported in new XFree86 versions because nobody
has these cards and nobody develops or tests them, so you might
need to use an older XFree86 version.  This is particularly the
case if you don't have PCI and this machine has an ISA or VLB
video card.  I think your first priority should be finding out
what the video card is.  If you have PCI it will show up in /proc/pci.
If it's pre-PCI, there's an app called SuperProbe which should
be able to tell you what you've got.

			Mark.