Re: X Windows Cannot Be Opened

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 18:42, Edwin Lee wrote:
> Dear Support:
>
> Thank you for your time and effort in technical contribution for this
> product.
>
> I successfully install Linux Redhat 9.0 into a P4 desktop with the hardware
> including the following:
> 1. Monitor: Compaq FP768A
> 2. Display Card: ATI 9600 SE
>
> I have come across a problem of repeating login prompt when the system try
> to login into X for me. System automatically choose Generic VESA display
> driver with unknown probe monitor during installation.
>
> After further investigation, I follow the instruction from ATI with their
> support rpm package installed into Redhat in the following procedures.
>
> 1. Boot the system in Single User Mode.
> 2. Install the package by "rpm -i --force <ati_package_name>.rpm"
> 3. Successful installation has been shown.
> 4. Continue to run into login screen and a window prompt of X cannot be
> loaded occurs.
> 5. Choose "yes" to run the configuration with lots of Monitor and Display
> type that I can select.
>
> I try many different combination; however, problem remains!!!
>
> Result: Same for another login name besides "root" & System in "black"
> background keep asking me username and password. If I purposely type in
> incorrect password, it will prompt password incorrect. If I type it right,
> the system again ask me the login name and password as a repeat cycle!
>
> Would you please suggest any alternative solutions?

What if you kill and disable gdm, so that you log into the console.

Then start X by running the command "startx".  It may show you an
error message, and will also let you look at the log file
/var/log/XFree86.0.log.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx
Jefferson, LA USA

All of the "reporting" about Laci Peterson & Michael Jackson
reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry": "Can we do the
operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the
newsroom got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we need
dirty laundry."